top of page

Norfolk County Council Apply for Devolution

  • Writer: Trevor Graham
    Trevor Graham
  • Jan 9
  • 2 min read

Updated: Feb 8

The Government wants to extend devolution of powers and funding, plus local government reform, across England. It invited councils to express an interest in being part of the first phase, by January 10. Ministers want "two tier" areas like Norfolk - where responsibility for key services is split between county and district councils - to replace existing councils with unitary authorities.


County councillors backed a bid to secure new powers and funding to benefit Norfolk. The full county council discussed and then the cabinet agreed to apply to be part of the Government's priority programme for devolution.


County council leader, Councillor Kay Mason Billig, said that, while the Government was pushing councils to take a decision with "indecent haste" and to apply to postpone elections, the alternative was to be at the back of the queue for powers and funding.


She said: "This morning, as a full council, we debated devolution and joining the Government's Devolution Priority Programme.


"Norfolk is well-placed to develop devolution plans with Suffolk, due to its work on the previous Government's county deal plan and its close working relationship with Suffolk County Council.


Cllr Mason Billig said she was keen to engage with our district councils and MPs to consider what the future shape of local government in Norfolk should look like, so we can continue to deliver efficient, value for money, and accountable services to our residents.


She said: "If ministers agree to Norfolk joining the priority programme, proposals would be developed for a mayoral combined authority, covering Norfolk and Suffolk. This would include powers and funding for strategic planning, housing, transport and skills. Elections for a mayor covering Norfolk and Suffolk could then take place in May 2026."


Being on the devolution priority programme could lead to postponement of County Council elections scheduled for May this year, so that devolution and local government reorganisation plans could be developed. Elections were previously postponed in May 2021 to enable local government reform proposals to be developed in Cumbria, North Yorkshire and Somerset, and before that in 2018 in Dorset, Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire for the same reason. No decision has yet been taken by central government.


FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK

  • Facebook

Published and promoted by Christopher Kemp, on behalf of Trevor Graham both of Federation Office, Stratton Motor Company, Ipswich Road, Long Stratton, Norwich NR15 2XJ

- VOTE FOR -

Trevor Graham

Please note that the views expressed on this site and my social media account are those of me personally and unless specifically stated are not necessarily those of South Norfolk Council or the Conservative Party.

© 2023 by Trevor Graham

Subscribe to my Newsletter

Thanks for submitting!

Working Together

bottom of page